Excalibur is a very successful fencing club, with its fencers consistently winning more State Championships and medals at National level than any other club in Western Australia. It is located in Beaconsfield in the South West metropolitan area of Perth. The club has members spanning the primary school to older adult age range and meets four times a week during the school term:
|Monday||7:00 - 9:00 PM|
|Tuesday||7:00 - 9:00 PM|
|Friday||7:00 - 9:00 PM|
|Saturday||1:00 - 2:30 PM Sabre, 2:30 - 4:00 PM Foil|
The Programme page has full details of when we meet, including term dates. To learn more about us, see the About page. If you are interested in taking up fencing, please contact us using the Enquiries form. To find out exactly where we are, use the Location page. Fees are listed on the Membership page.
Excalibur Community Fencing Club is grateful for the support provided by our Sponsors.
Just in case you didn’t receive the email, here is a message from FencingWA to start the year:
Happy new year and welcome to Fencing in Western Australia for 2014. This is just a quick note to remind you of some important fencing and competition related items of note:
1. Please remember to pay your affiliation fees using SportingPulse. To do so, visit our new web page at http://www.fencingwa.com/ and click on the Payment button in the top right. Any problems, please e-mail me at wafaweb at yahoo dot com.
Note that all fencers should AFFILIATE ($30) to (a) be part of the FencingWA community, and (b) ensure that they are covered by the appropriate insurance, (c) participate in any FencingWA activities (including U13 events).
Those fencers who either (a) are competing in under 15 events or above in WA, or (b) wish to participate in any national event, should also pay their CAPITATION fee (which covers AFF Capitation).
2. Please note that a fee will be charged for competition entries this year, with the funds going back into raising the standards of competition and refereeing. The fee will be $5 per event for entries received on time (ie. by the Monday before competition) and $10 for entries made up to the Friday before the event. A late fee of $20 per event will be charged if competitors turn up on the day that have not entered properly. We are investigating alternative entry procedures, but until an alternative mechanism is confirmed, payments can be made using the usual SportingPulse payment portal. A confirmation e-mail should be sent using the competition registry page found under the competitions menu at http://www.fencingwa.com/
3. Please note that weapons testing will continue to apply in 2014. Non-compliant weapons (weight, gauge or overall functionality or safety) will not be allowed to be used in competition.
4. For all U13 foil and epee competitions FencingWA policy is that size 2 weapons should be used (there is some scope to use size 3 if provided by a club, to accommodate the transition but please do not purchase a size 3 weapon as this may not be acceptable in future).
5. Please check the FencingWA competition rule book which should be available at http://www.fencingwa.com/#!downloads/c1xvs in the downloads section. Other FencingWA policies can also be found at this location.
6. Please also note that the FIE rules have been updated and are available from http://britishfencing.com/uploads/files/book_t_jan_2014.pdf.
7. Follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/fencingwa/) and Twitter (@FencingWA)
8. Finally, we need volunteers. In particular, the Association needs a secretary and/or someone to help with communications. This is an extremely important and rewarding job and is at the heart of what we do. If you are interested in helping out in this, or any, capacity, please contact me on wafaweb at yahoo dot com
Please note that the first day Excalibur is running this year is Tuesday 4 February. See the Programme page for all term dates this year.
With the reduced number of events in the WA calendar next year particularly for younger fencers, the rankings system needed changes in order to work well. A set of ranking mechanisms has been developed to deal with these new circumstances, and to introduce more consistency between the various tables where possible and appropriate. Please provide your opinion on these proposed changes.
Note that it is your opinion of the various rankings systems that is sought (assuming that we have a reduced-event calendar in 2014), not your opinion on the reduction in number of events itself.
This survey closes on Monday 16 December, so you will need to respond in the next few days. Please pass on this link to anyone in the fencing community who you think should see it.
Edit: Many of the responses in the WA ranking survey are mixing up the concept of “given the ranking events in the 2014 calendar, what do you think of this ranking system?” (the question being asked) with “what do you think of the ranking events in the 2014 calendar?” (the question some of you apparently want to be asked). There is a new survey asking about the main contentious areas, the inclusion of FSI and the reduction in the number of events. For, against or neutral, please have a go at this one too.
Saturday 14 December is a special end-of year session that will include various fun things and culminating with our Annual General Meeting and Club Awards. All fencers, parents, etc. are welcome!
1:00 to 3:00 – Fencing fun session (all weapons)
3:00 to 4:00 – Annual General Meeting and Club Awards
The West Australian Fencing Association invites all fencers and families to the 2013 Awards Presentation and Social Evening hosted by UWA Fencing Club from 6:00 PM on Saturday 30 November 2013. Please check out the invitation for details. Gary Sudran is handling ticket sales for Excalibur, so please see him or use the registration form at the Excalibur front desk before 15 November.
New timetable for the final Activity Weekend of 2013, updated as of 29 October. Please note these are fencing start times, be there 30-45 minutes earlier for registration and warmup.
Saturday 2 November
9:45 U13 Épée Final (electric, size 2 blades)
11:30 U13 Sabre Final (electric)
Sunday 3 November
9:45 U13 Foil Final (non-electric)
UWA Fencing Club
UWA International Martial Arts Centre
Corner Princess and Goldsworthy Road
Please note that to minimise the clash with the AFL Grand Final, the special fencing session this Saturday has been moved to start at 11:30 AM. This is a “set up and fence” session only, but all fencers are welcome.
Excalibur Top Ten Rankings
Open Men’s Foil: 4 Steve Johnson, 7 Alasdair Dunham, 8 Luke Mitchell
Open Women’s Foil: 2 Kate Duff, 5 Louise Johnson, 6= Abi Lee
Open Men’s Sabre: 1 Sutherlan Scudds, 2 Zak Leonhard, 3 Jadryn Dick, 4 Andrew Scott, 8 Steve Johnson, 10 Hamish Graham
Open Women’s Sabre: 1 Lisa Blyth, 5 Tori Leonhard, 7 Louise Johnson, 8 Abi Lee, 9= Isobelle McCrackan, 9= Freya North-Hickey
Open Women’s Epee: 7 Abi Lee
Veteran Men’s Foil: 1 Steve Johnson, 2 Gary Sudran, 4 Richie Kuhaupt, 5 Jon Allard, 6 Jake North-Hickey
Veteran Men’s Sabre: 2 Steve Johnson, 3 Gary Sudran, 4 Richie Kuhaupt, 6 Max Lebedev, 8 Paul Jewell, 9 Jon Allard
Veteran Men’s Epee: 2 Steve Johnson, 3 Gary Sudran
Veteran Master-at-Arms: 1 Steve Johnson, 2 Gary Sudran, 4 Richie Kuhaupt, 10 Jon Allard
Junior Men’s Foil: 1 Alasdair Dunham, 5 Tom Harvey, 8= Felix North-Hickey, 8= Joel Waddell
Junior Women’s Foil: 1 Kate Duff, 2 Abi Lee, 3 Louise Johnson
Junior Men’s Sabre: 1 Jadryn Dick, 2 Hamish Graham, 7 Jake Williams, 8 Felix North-Hickey
Junior Women’s Sabre: 3 Tori Leonhard, 4 Abi Lee, 5 Louise Johnson, 6 Freya North-Hickey, 7 Isobelle McCrackan
Junior Women’s Epee: 2 Abi Lee
Cadet Men’s Foil: 5 Tom Harvey, 6 Ethan Beales, 9 Jay English, 10= Josh Berthold
Cadet Women’s Foil: 2 Louise Johnson
Cadet Men’s Sabre: 3 Jake Williams, 5 Felix North-Hickey, 8 Daniel Monaco
Cadet Women’s Sabre: 2 Tori Leonhard, 3 Louise Johnson, 4 Freya North-Hickey, 5 Isobelle McCrackan
Cadet Men’s Epee: 7 Juri Hammi
Cadet Women’s Epee: 3 Louise Johnson, 4 Emma Johnson
U15 Boys’ Foil: 4 Tom Harvey, 9 Luke Bradley, 10= Ethan Beales, 10= Seth Nylund
U15 Girls’ Foil: 1 Louise Johnson
U15 Boys’ Sabre: 1 Jake Williams, 4= Daniel Monaco, 4= Felix North-Hickey, 9 Alex Brown
U15 Girls’ Sabre: 1 Louise Johnson, 2= Freya North-Hickey, 2= Isobelle McCrackan
U15 Boys’ Epee: 6= Juri Hammi
U15 Girls’ Epee: 1 Louise Johnson, 3 Emma Johnson
U13 Boys’ Foil: 1 Sol Kubalsky, 4 Oscar Wilson, 5= Seth Nylund, 5= Liam Williams
U13 Girls’ Foil: 1 Emma Johnson, 3 Maddie Vandeness
U13 Boys’ Sabre: 2 Alex Brown, 5 Liam Williams
U13 Girls’ Sabre: 1 Emma Johnson, 2 Isobelle McCrackan
U13 Girls’ Epee: 2 Emma Johnson, 3 Isobelle McCrackan
Excalibur currently has top-ranked fencers in 14 categories.